Find us on Facebook!

Woodmore Through the Years

August 16, 1923
The Club's course first opened for play.

Year(s) 1947 & 1948
Hosted the National Capital Open.

Year of 1992

The Club hosted the Maryland State Open.

February of 1993

The Club changed its name to "The Country Club at Woodmore".

Year of 2007

The Club officially changed its name to "The Country Club at Woodmore".

May 2007

The Country Club at Woodmore hosted The PGA Nationwide Tour, Melwood Prince George's County Open.

May 2008

The Country Club at Woodmore welcomed the return of The PGA Nationwide Tour, Melwood Prince George's County Open.

December 2012
Woodmore began a new chapter as part of the Concert Golf family of clubs


About Us

The Country Club at Woodmore began its storied history in 1923 as Beaver Dam Golf and Country Club course on Landover Road. It was one of over 200 courses designed by Donald Ross, the noted golf architect. The course opened for play on August 16, 1923 as a par 72, 6,775-yard layout from the blue tees. In 1941 the club was bought and re-named Prince George’s Country Club.

“Old P.G.,” as it was known to many members and friends, was host to a number of championship events, including the National Capital Open in 1947 and 1948. Lloyd Mangrum won this event in 1947, and Skip Alexander won it in 1948. The U.S. Women’s Open Championship, also hosted by Old P.G., and was won by Louise Suggs in 1949 when she defeated Babe Didrikson; both of whom are founding members of the LPGA. 

In 1979, the Maryland National Capital Park and Planning Commission purchased the golf course and its facilities for use as a recreational area for the county. The club then moved to its current location at the corner of Enterprise and Woodmore Roads in Mitchellville, Maryland. The new course, designed by Arnold Palmer and Ed Seay, for the new Prince George's Country Club opened for play in 1981, as a par 72, 7,059-yard course from the championship tees.

At its current location, it has hosted championship events such as the Maryland State Open in 1992, which was won by amateur and then Club member Del Ponchock in a playoff over Glen Barrett and the Club’s head golf professional at that time, Larry Ringer. Numerous other prestigious events have been played on the course, such as the Women’s Eastern Open, the U.S. Amateur Qualifier, the Maryland Women’s Amateur, and the Kemper Open Qualifier on a number of occasions. In February of 1993, the Club changed its name to “The Country Club at Woodmore” to align itself more with the growth of the community surrounding the course. In 1998, the Club hosted the Maryland State Senior Women’s Championship. Also, beginning in 1998 and continuing through 2005, the Club hosted the U.S. Senior Open Qualifier. In 2004, the Club once again hosted the Maryland State Open, which was won by Chip Sullivan.

In 2007, the Club began an exciting next chapter, as it hosted an event on the Nationwide Tour, the #1 developmental tour of the PGA Tour. The Melwood-Prince Georges County showcased the wonderful setting and layout at Woodmore to a national audience, as the young superstars and established veterans of professional golf battled it out for a $600,000 purse and a shot at the PGA Tour. In the end, Nationwide Tour veteran Paul Claxton became the first player on the Nationwide Tour to surpass $1 million in career in earnings by winning the inaugural Melwood-Prince George's County Open with a four-day score of 270 (-18) at Woodmore.

In June of 2013, Woodmore had the honor of hosting the Maryland State Amateur Championship; the most prestigious Amateur tournament in the state.

Photos courtesy of the LPGA

The Country Club at Woodmore   12320 Pleasant Prospect   Mitchellville, MD 20721   P. (301) 249-6100
© 2017. All Rights Reserved.   Site by Clubessential  
  Facebook